Saturday, August 31, 2013

Choose the Right People

After being under the umbrella for many years, college has allowed me to step from underneath the covering to get wet a little bit. There were many things that I learned from my college experience from prioritizing and time management to the basics of learning how to survive and live on my own. I know every college student have had or will have their own unique experiences, but it is still extremely important to take care of some of the basics in terms of having a successful college experience. One of my most important things that I had to do was to decide the people that I would spend most of my time with.

Oftentimes, our childhood friends were our neighborhood buddies, but what I learned in college was that the people I surrounded myself with were more than just buddies. I realized that in some degree they had to be people that will push me to greatness and vice versa. I had to learn the difference between the Construction Team vs. Demolition Team. Essentially, I needed to be around people that were "builders" and not "destroyers".

I learned that my baseball teammates couldn't just be my default circle of friends. I had to search out and mingle to find a solid group of friends and acquaintances to associate myself with. It was important for me to be a part of organizations like NSBE and ASME. It was extremely beneficial that I befriended people who took their academics seriously, not only because they gave me a solid study group to be a part of, but they also pushed me (if only indirectly) to do better.

But, it is still difficult, and at times unrealistic, to have a squeaky clean circle. However, it is important to be cognizant of the people that you surround yourself by because there is a saying that says "you are the average of the 5 people you hang around the most."

I understand that with your new freedom you may just want to have fun and enjoy the college life a little. Trust me, I had my fair share of fun as well. But, I warn you that the path can spiral downward rapidly if you are not careful and mindful of people who distract you from your main reason for being there.

So, I would like to leave you with this when building your college circle:
  • Determine who are "builders" and "destroyers"
  • Join groups and organizations with like-minded goals of achievement
  • Don't be a afraid of diversity on your circle (you can learn alot)
  • Find a good mentor (very helpful and insightful for me)
  • Set-up your study group (go for the best of the best in your classes)
  • Maintain a good relationship with professors and instructors

No comments:

Post a Comment